Friday, September 10, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours...make lemonade

We are back in Mexico today, Friday the 10th.  Actually, Joel flew out Thursday to Chicago for AdvoCare business, but he will be back next week.  Wednesday, the 8th, we unexpectedly threw a few things in our bags and headed back to Georgetown.  Williamson County had gotten  a very unusual burst of rain from an outer band of Hurricane Hermine, and our home had tallied 15 inches of water overnight.  Our wonderful neighbors watched in horror as the flood waters exceeded the top of the pool.  Our backyard was a running river and water had entered the house soaking most of the floors.   A full force of volunteers came to our home and before we could even drive back from Piedras had most of the furniture moved and the wood floors torn up.  Dryers were brought in, carpeting removed, and our possessions were all stacked in makeshift piles throughout the dry parts of the house.  What an absolute blessing!!!

Throughout all the work of moving furniture, spraying and moping floors to prevent germs, and salvaging leftover personal items, I could not help but feel utterly thankful for all I had.  Joel and I are blessed with the most faithful, servant friends that anyone could ask for.  We have a roof over our home, and I dropped in bed that night thinking how incredibly soft my bed comforter was.  I have running water when I lift the tap handle, and a shower that runs every time.  I do not need to turn off the refrigerator to run the microwave, and my air conditioning unit is set to the exact temperature I desire.  I have a garage with a garage door, and a car.  I have the ability to earn an income to pay for the things I need and the repairs we will encounter.  So many in Mexico where we serve do not have any of these luxuries...ever.

So this morning, before I left Georgetown again, I sat upon the concrete floors admiring the remnants of carpet glue and hardwood floor tacking.  No lemons here, only yummy leftover lemonade from a quick Dairy Queen run the night before and homemade fiber-nut-healthy muffins from a dear friend.  With the deafening hum of the multitude of blowers, I smiled up to God and yelled, "Thank you...You are GOOD!!!".  .   

I know there are so many in our community who have lost so much more than us, whose future is uncertain, and whose fear is probably overwhelming.  For those people, I am praying for God's comfort and for Him to provide for all needs.  I am confident He has a plan to prosper all who believe in Him even when the circumstances do not indicate it.  And I know He is the source of peace that surpasses all understanding.  Even when live throws you lemons.    

No comments:

Post a Comment